Since 1997, St. James Haven has been a place of welcome refuge for homeless men in Meadville, Pennsylvania. Founded by a group of associates of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Northwestern Pennsylvania in Meadville, the St. James Haven ministry continues to provide an important service in Crawford County and is the only men’s shelter in the area. In 2016-2017, St. James Haven provided 2632 nights of shelter to 188 men, many of whom are veterans.
I like being at St. James. Being here has helped me move from being homeless to having a job as a manager. It has given me an opportunity to have a stable living situation while helping others and giving me the time to take care of things at this point in my life. ~Nick
St. James Haven
• can accommodate 14 men each night
• provides a comfortable bed and clean, dry shelter
• offers a simple meal each evening, provided by donors
• works closely with local police and housing and mental health agencies
• is staffed by a resident manager
• is open 365 days/year from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m.
• is financially supported solely by public/private donations
Thank you for giving me a place to stay at night, a hot meal and some clothes. I really needed to wash my clothes and was delighted when I was able to do so at St. James (Haven). This helped me to better seek housing and finding a much needed job. You helped me to feel at home even if it was just temporary. ~Adam